The Laurus nobilis is a small evergreen tree that has played an important role in Mediterranean culture for millennia. Laurel leaves were revered as a symbol of victory and success in both the Greek and Roman cultures and are also associated with the phases of the moon in contemporary Chinese culture. These leaves are also regularly used in cooking all over the world, more commonly known as “bay leaves”. But laurel leaves have uses outside of victory wreaths and food seasoning. When steam distilled, they produce a powerfully fragrant essential oil that has substantial cleansing and soothing properties.
Laurel Leaf essential oil is composed of two primary constituents, 1,8-cineole (eucalyptol)and alpha-terpinyl acetate. The combination emits a strong, herbaceous, and slightly spicy aroma that can be used in a variety of aromatic and topical contexts.
What Are the Benefits of Laurel Leaf Essential Oil?
The first thing you notice when using an essential oil is the aroma, and Laurel Leaf is no different. In one clinical trial, inhalation of Laurel Leaf was shown to promote feelings of clear thinking and concentration1. Due to its soothing properties, Laurel Leaf may be a great addition to an aromatherapy massage2. With its rich concentration of 1,8-cineole, Laurel Leaf is also powerfully cleansing when applied topically to the skin or on surfaces. Experimental research has shown that Laurel Leaf may promote clear-looking skin and reduce the appearance of blemishes2,3. Further experimental research suggests that Laurel Leaf may also have surface cleansing properties4.
How Do I Use Laurel Leaf?
- Diffuse Laurel Leaf essential oil to sustain focus while working on a difficult school or work project.
- Start your day off by putting a few drops on your shower floor.
- Add 1–2 drops to Deep Blue® Rub or your favorite lotion and apply to muscles and joints after a workout.
- Use Laurel Leaf the next time you offer an AromaTouch® Hand Technique to a friend.
- Add 1–2 drops to a moisturizer and apply daily to cleanse and revitalize skin.
- Add several drops of Laurel Leaf to your all-purpose cleaner to boost its surface cleansing power
You must be logged in to post a comment.